Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Promoting your Print Publications: The Strange Case of the Email without any Links

I got an email from the Washington Post recently and there were no links!  It was full of articles I wanted to read and I couldn't click on any of them. 

I thought this was fabulous, because this email was a sneak peek into Sunday's paper that they send out on Friday. 

Every other email I get from the Washington Post has tons of links to articles and ads.  So the lack of links was noticeable.  They weren't promoting 'related stories' or 'from our sponsor'.  It was just some nice text and graphics.

And when the magazine arrived on Saturday and the main paper on Sunday, I read them, because a few things had caught my eye in that email.

On a call last week with the volunteer leaders of a client association, one board member said that the association's quarterly magazine lies in his in-box for weeks before he gets to look at it.  I know that sometimes my own association's magazines go straight to the bookshelf.

Isn't the sneak peak that creates anticipation (and mandates delayed gratification) a great idea to combat that?

No comments:

Post a Comment